Mixed emotions for EUBC


W1 had a tough game against Newcastle University but came out of it with a win. The team of only 6 won in overtime after having to come back twice. The 75-74 win vs Newcastle was the first win of the season and a real accomplishment. Everybody contributed and worked as a team and this really paid off. After a slow scoring start but with great defence, the team ended the first quarter with a small margin 15-13. In the second quarter W1 shared the ball very well end shot it at a very high percentage. After making 9 of 16 3 point attempts before halftime, they lead 43-32. The second half was poor, with them struggling to make shots and Newcastle slowly took the lead. Being down 61-66 with not much on the clock everyone gave it all they had and managed to make the last 5 points. The game went into overtime! Newcastle got a head start as W1 let them get a 4-point advantage, 67-71. Head Coach, Bart Sengers, took a timeout to make sure they were all on the same page again and they were. W1 took control defensively and managed to score. 74-74 with 10 seconds to play, Newcastle had the ball to try to win it. Captain, Robyn Lewis waited till the last seconds before attacking the basket fearless. She got fouled and was rewarded with two free throws. She made the second and with 2.1 seconds on the clock there would be a last shot for Newcastle but they couldn’t make it and the signs of relieve were followed by well deserved celebrations.


Men’s 2nds remain the only undefeated team in their league following a 63-48 win at home against Dundee University 1sts. Following their elimination from cup play last week at the hands of the same Dundee side, however, M2 worked hard to ensure a better outcome this time around. Following a first quarter that saw M2s down by 1, the team improved throughout winning each subsequent quarters by margins of 3, 5 and 8. The coaches, Dale Gilmour and Connor Sharp credit their victory to their high pressure defence which only allowed 14 points in the second half and the teams rebounding efforts on both ends. M2s benefitted from a balanced scoring effort as a result of their improved ball handling and off ball movement. The Men’s 2nds travel to RGU next week in hopes of continuing their strong play.


W2 had a tough defeat this week against Glasgow University, 39-54. This was the girls second time playing Glasgow after taking the win from the first game. Unfortunately, the team was down after not having some of their starting players due to injury and call ups to W1s. However, the team still fought hard with only 7 players. The girls got off to a rough start letting Glasgow get a 10-point advantage by the end of the first quarter. It was only after, that the points didn’t change much between the two teams in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter. W2s played excellent defence and fought strong in their offence but sadly it was not enough to catch up to Glasgow. Head Coach, Jordan Webb comments that the girls need to work on their spacing more. Next week, the girls will be playing away to Napier University. W2s are currently coming 2nd in their league.


M3 had an uneventful game against Dundee University. The final score was 63-27 to Edinburgh. M3 had a tough team to beat but did manage to bring the game to within 10 points through the 2nd quarter. After only managing to score 5points in the second half, the ended up playing shorthanded with 3 starters injured.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s